Normally I start these introductions with "this was an impulse buy", However this one will start with "this is a result of my wife making an impulse buy for me". She was in a hobby store with a friend looking for something completely unrelated to scale models when she decided to take a look at what scale models they had being as my birthday was coming up. Unknown to me she has a very good idea of what models I have in the stash waiting to be built. She also knows that I like building Tamiya because of the quality. When she spotted this Chieftain on sale, she knew that I would be over the moon with it. SHE WAS RIGHT! Around 18 months previously I had built an Airfix 1/35 Challenger Mk II out of the box as a "challenge" to myself to see if I could improve what is universally agreed as a terrible kit. I think I succeeded and I am really proud of the result. If your interested you can read about that build here. Anyway; back to the Chieftain. While researching the Challenger I had viewed a number of images of the Berlin Brigade. I was immediately taken with the unusual city camouflage and although I did consider it for the Challenger I realised that there were far more reference shots available for the Chieftain so the best chance of an accurate result would be with that model of tank. Fortune has now smiled upon me from my wife's surprise present. So here's to another build and hopefully an interesting, technical paint job on a venerable tank from the cold war:
To increase the chances of getting a crisp finish to the paint lines I also opted to leave many of the surface detail parts off the hull of the tank and I intend on spraying these separately. Hopefully this approach will give me the best chance of an accurate; crisp scheme as possible.
The Berlin Brigade Camo pattern
For the weathering/finishing of the wall section I decided to use some heavy weathering to not only give the backdrop a feeling of desperation but to cover the seam line between the two separate decals I used as well as the decal edges. A wash of black Vallejo was used first to highlight the concrete seams and joints and then once dry; I used two enamel washes from AK. The winter streaking and green grime: