IntroductionLike many modelers I'm sure that at some point you've bought this really old kit and had a go at it. This is also the case for me; building this kit from the box around 20 years ago. I had fun doing it but soon broke the kit for parts and spares. Anyway; fast forward to 2018 and I spotted this kit for sale in a supermarket of all places! It quickly ended up in my shopping basket and planning for the "pinky" started again. I decided that in order for this kit to be presentable and current when compared to more modern models I would have to buy the etch set from Eduard. If you have read my blog before you will probably be aware that I don't usually buy these etch sets purely because of their price point and that you can't pick up a model magazine that has a model made that didn't use an etch kit. Wake up magazine editors! after buying the kit, figures and paints we don't need to feel pressured into buying a £25 etch set on top for a model to be considered magazine worthy!!!! OK rant over so lets get back to the model: The kit itself is really well presented but lets itself down on the finer details. You could spend a fortune on upgrade parts from this from companies such as black dog who sell a very nice resin set to compliment the pinky; the only problem being at least twice the price of the actual model! I decided to take the plunge on the etch for aesthetic reasons in some areas and then add additional detail from my spares box and milliput where needed.
The Kits used
I will be honest right from the start and say that I was pleasantly surprised at the level of detail the Eduard etch set adds to the original Tamiya kit. I will also say that a great deal of patience is required for the methodical cutting away of old detail and adding the etch. An etch tool such as the RP Toolz one that I have is definitely a worth while investment for the etch parts. Although I plan to add other scratch built items; this will be later on, so I will post the pics of the standard build plus etch below first:
The Spares box raid and painting.The main colours used for this model will be from vallejo's range of acrylic and acrylic air. I have used humbrol for a veeeeeeery long time now but have decided to try the acrylic range to see just how much of difference it makes (if any) over the venerable old humbrol enamels.
I was really surprised at how well the Vallejo acrylics covered the model with absolutely no primer coat whatsoever (tried it because their website states this and I didn't believe it). the colours are spot on and the finish is fantastic.
A let down with this kit is the lack of accessories supplied with it and the ones that do come with it particularly bad! As I said in the introduction, Black dog produce a very good resin update set for this model but the price is just waaay too high for me! Fortunately a rummage around my spares box revealed some ruck sacks from I think a Tamiya accessory set, some jerry cans (the kits ones are again awful), some ammo boxes, tarp roll and other bits and pieces that I may or may not use. The rear stowage on the kit is dealt with by a poor "covered equipment tarp" that in my opinion really lets this kit down. I opted to make the large stowage bag out of milliput and then added some of the ruck sacks onto this. The whole stowage area was then filled with liberal amounts of squadron filler to tie everything together.
I also added a storage tie rail to the rear and re positioned the rear smoke dispensers to the sides of the vehicle and added some additional jerry can racks to the rear bed (SAS crews customised their vehicles as they wanted so artistic license can be applied in spades for this kit !).
With all the parts added I charged the compressor and began adding liberal amounts of desert dust and grime. This was achieved with Vallejo model air thinned to around 50/50
The baseFor the base I wanted to do a little something different. Usually I make the base and figures to show off the vehicle as best as I can. In this instance I want the vehicle to add interest to the base for highlighting one of the figures that I intend on using. The vehicle will be in the foreground and to draw the eye to the rear of the dio (and the figure) I wanted to raise the rear of the base. I decided to make the base from some off cuts of balsa and blue foam. Some tree bark would act as large rock outcroppings. This would then be covered in patching plaster and artists medium before adding some dried powdered earth:
Once the base had dried I then began with the details such as grass, rocks, tyre tracks etc. I used some vallejo acrylics in various stages of dilution and airbrushed the entire base to bring it all together as well as to match the weathering on the land rover: